This is interesting. Check it out!
This raises three questions:
- Why is basic numeracy such a problem with compulsory education to the age of sixteen, in the UK?
- Perhaps, there is too much bureaucratic focus on national curriculum and not enough on the basics, namely reading, writing and arithmetic?
- Surely the teaching profession should be held accountable?
- Numeracy Campaign: ‘maths curriculum failing to meet the needs of the 21st century’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Mental Maths Tips for Numeracy Tests (cfmathssupport.wordpress.com)
- Telegraph numeracy campaign: Why maths is essential to business (telegraph.co.uk)
- Number of adults in England with poor numeracy rising (guardian.co.uk)
- Numeracy campaign: Education reform in the maths classroom (telegraph.co.uk)