Lady Thatcher as UK Prime Minister was affectionately known as the “iron lady” for her determination and strong will. Personally, I was very much an admirer of Lady Thatcher, both as a leader and a politician.
In the last couple of years I have been a keen follower of politics and believe that the German Chancellor, Angela Merkel is an “iron lady” as well. I very much respect Angela Merkel as a shrewd and determined politician.
It is interesting to reflect on the similarities between Lady Thatcher as UK Prime Minister and Angela Merkel as German Chancellor.
- Leaders of right-wing political parties
- From humble rather than privileged backgrounds
- Dogged and determined
- Passionate about small government and supporters of the family and private enterprise
- Supporters of austerity where appropriate
- Strong supporters of neoliberalism, rather than Keynesianism
- Lady Thatcher became known for not changing her views whereas Angela Merkel is more comfortable in changing her views as the context changes
- Finally, Angela Merkel probably has far stronger pro-European views than Lady Thatcher – of course, times are different too.
These were just a few quick thoughts. Happy to hear other views.
- ‘The Iron Lady’: Margaret Thatcher Family Refused a Screening Invite (moviefone.com)
- Iron Lady’s take on 2012? (politico.com)
- We Love This Poster For “The Iron Lady” (thefrisky.com)
- Meryl Streep gets record 17th Oscar nomination! Will Iron Lady result in long-awaited third Oscar win? (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Wise words: Margaret Thatcher on leadership (budtoboss.wordpress.com)
- How Accurate Is ‘The Iron Lady’? (npr.org)
- “The Iron Lady” and Margaret Thatcher’s Legacy (blog-aauw.org)
- The Iron Lady (moviesfilmsandflix.com)