This is an excellent, MUST READ article by Adam Posen, president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics and is published in the FT.
via The cult of home ownership is dangerous and damaging – FT.com
The article highlights the risks at both the individual and national level of the home ownership cult, especially in the US and the UK.
These days, home ownership favors the wealthy and inherited wealth. The article cites latest research in the US that home ownership impacts mobility and aggravates unemployment. The financial crisis started in the US in 2008, and was triggered by sub-prime mortgages supporting home loans to the less advantaged. Now, once again, the big US banks are booming, and both the US and the UK governments are propping up the housing market.
Surely, the UK Government should be subsidizing language training rather than mortgage finance, and encouraging more people to go overseas to the likes of Germany where jobs are more plentiful?
- Lunch with the FT: Ron Perelman – FT.com (dpbeeson.wordpress.com)
- UK ‘on the mend’ but with ‘long way to go’ – FT.com (dralfoldman.com)
- How Home Ownership Causes Unemployment (cnbc.com)
- RBS told to meet US fine from bonuses – FT.com (dralfoldman.com)
- We need more new homes – but not more home ownership (guardian.co.uk)
- Is Home Ownership better then Renting? (betterlivingbychelseak.wordpress.com)
- Dr Alf’s Two Cents: Britain ought to be thankful for its political class – FT.com (dralfoldman.com)
Reblogged this on Dr Alf's Blog and commented:
Looking back over some of my most popular blogs, I think this is worth a read
Pingback: Reflections on my top 20 blogs in nearly three years of blogging « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: My Top Twelve Blogs – Last Three Months « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: The Big Squeeze – Editorial – FT.com « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: Sub-prime mortgages re-emerge in wake of Funding for Lending scheme | Business | theguardian.com « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: The Cult and the Crisis of UK Housing – John Gelmini « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: Political cowardice stops us from solving our wretched housing crisis | Will Hutton | Comment is free | The Observer « Dr Alf's Blog