Lord Howell was right about fracking and he should not have backed down to the eclectic collection of Nimbies, Druids, environmentalists, pagans, Friends of the Earth, naysayers, gnostics, leafgazers,retired bank managers, farmers, former Page 3 girls, dog breeders, horsewoman, drabbies and Guardianistas.
But then this Coalition Government has a long record of making ill thought out announcements and then running away at the first sign of opposition only to apologise later and pretend to be in listening mode.
The facts of the UK’s energy position are stark:
1) The UK has just 4% extra generating capacity and is already importing nuclear power from France,gas from Vladimir Putin and has Wessex Water in Malaysian Chinese hands and Eon is owned by the Germans.
Wind turbines only work for 14% of the time are heavily subsidised by the taxpayer in England, burn out when the wind speeds are too high and are incapable of plugging the energy generation gap in time or at all.
Similarly,conservation /micro generation measures such as lagging,mini generation by windmills from Band Q, solar power, Combined Heat and Power units, better boilers, triple glazing etc are too expensive for the bulk of people without huge subsidies which are not affordable which is why many of these subsidies were cut under Chris Huhn the disgraced former Energy Minister before he was sent to prison.
2) The Government has had reports showing that far from warming the planet is in fact cooling and that this has been the case for the last 8 years.
This is part of a natural cycle which happens every 1,500 years when the earth in its elliptical orbit moves further away from the sun.
The cooling is evidenced by the harsh winters of 2002 when we ran out of grit and salt and had to import it from Egypt,the winters of 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 when the snow remained unmoved until the middle of May.
The BBC as the main proponent of so-called “Climate Change” gets about 80% of its forecasts incorrect to the point where Tesco PLC refuses to use Met Office data and prefers to use American forecasts based on more accurate satellite data.
Recently, after the supposedly variable weather and the brief appearance of summer the Met Office claimed that this was due to a rare weather cycle repeating itself unexpectedly.
Then they went down to Exeter for an extraordinary conference which was not televised but held in camera and subsequently emerged to tell the waiting world that it was all down to “Climate Change”.
The 2 statements less than a week apart cannot both be correct so it is clear that because the original statement did not fit in with the current orthodoxy,that the Met Office conference attendees were made to agree “the line to take” before they emerged from their conference
3) Rising population, a spat with the Russians, a cold winter, the decommissioning and non replacement of coal-fired and nuclear power stations is going to bring back the blackouts we used to experience under the NUM when coal miners had the ability to turn out the lights year after year.
Even the high priest of Mother Earth Goddess worship,Professor James Lovelock who likens earth to GAIIA and who pushed that theory for years,has said we need to build nuclear power stations or the lights go out.
4) We need as I said in an earlier post ,to frack and frack now (with safeguards)and build new nuclear power stations and extend the lives of those we have.
If we frack in the North East where few people live then fair enough but the economic life of the nation cannot be held hostage to a vociferous minority of middle class NIMBIES in Balcombe and other places of little economic importance.
You can be sure that when the lights do go out and they will,that these “middle class protestors” will again be in uproar.
The economic needs of the country are more important than these people but if there are problems with Caudrilla proper compensation and redress must be forthcoming.
5)The Russians ,the food exporters overseas and the utility companies have already done well from colder winters and our lack of self-sufficiency in food and power to the point where the average family of 4 has less than £97 gbp in disposable income.
In addition, the utility companies are installing smart meters so that they can turn off power whenever they need to manage supply or load balance the power in the Grid.
- A Hard Look at the Implosion of UK Healthcare – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look Beyond the 13,000 Needless NHS Deaths – John Gelmini 2/2 (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look at UK’s Ageing Population, Welfare and David Cameron’s Priorities – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- UK economy close to ‘escape velocity’, say top economists – Telegraph (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look at UK Life Under David Cameron – John Gelmini 2/3 (dralfoldman.com)
- UK Government and Chinese Debt Crisis – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look at UK Defense Spending – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look at Individual Liberty in the David Cameron’s UK – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- The History of Mind Control Warfare – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look China Friends Trade and David Cameron – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)