The wider implications for US foreign policy that Dr Alf wonders about will be that in future President Obama will need to be a lot more circumspect about intentions than he has been.
Red lines need to be communicated behind closed doors not in television studios and not in televised press briefings.
Saying that you will order military strikes if there is chemical weapons use means that you have to provide irrefutable evidence to be credible or it means you have to lie and pretend you have it in order to justify what you propose to do next.
General Alexander, the head of the NSA, has not produced the evidence either, even in an amended form that conceals how his Agency might have obtained it, so until I see it on the table, I am not inclined to believe it exists.
We have several precedents for disbelieving what politicians tell us are the reasons for going to war.
They are most recently:
–The Iraq War in which we were told that Saddam Hussein had “weapons of mass destruction”, that the “threat was growing, that Saddam was like Hitler, that he had missiles that could hit the UK in 45 minutes”
- A Hard Look at the Implosion of UK Healthcare – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- I disagree with Senator McCain on US policy on Syria – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- How the Western economies should effectively respond to the Chinese economic powerhouse – John A Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Will China’s policy of bearing gifts to Afghanistan be more successful than both Russian and US policy? – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- The Western Military Intervention in Syria: further thoughts – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Syria, Chemical Weapons and Military Intervention: A Personal View – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Some thoughts on David Cameron’s hollow words at St Petersburg G20 – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look at the Politics of UK Foreign Aid – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Twenty ways to avoid outsourcing of Public Education in the UK – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- How to Stop 47% of Britons from Developing Cancer by 2020 – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)