The UK Coalition government are only concerned with one thing and that as Dr Alf’s question implies is getting re-elected.
The electoral arithmetic is against the Conservatives and as Lord Tebbit has said, without change, Ed Miliband is on track for number 10 Downing Street, despite his economic and business illiteracy and despite the fact that the public turned their backs on socialism decades ago.
Rebuilding British exports, inward investment and our “dumbed- down” State education system would take concentrated work and effort and a long-term strategic view.
It would also take a real desire to improve the prosperity of everyone in the country.
Sadly no politician is prepared to get the UK public to do what it takes to make that happen, so facile attempts to throw money at the housing market are seen as an electoral quick-fix which will then be followed by a severe clampdown, making what is happening now pale into insignificance.
Cameron and Osborne, assisted by Clegg have wasted the first 3 years of this Parliament, and will lose the election on the basis of present polls just because of the “bedroom tax” and its perceived unfairness.
Cameron, for all his laziness and propensity to open his mouth without thinking, has now seen some writing on the wall and he does not like what he sees.
We can expect more panic moves to win back a contemptuous public who would like to see him do something about immigration, jobs, policing and unfairness but despite what he says they will be disappointed .
- A Hard Look at the Implosion of UK Healthcare – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion: Machiavelli’s memo to Cameron ex Economist – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Alternative views – Wren-Lewis, climate change & UK Conservatives: John Gelmini Vs. Dr Alf (dralfoldman.com)
- Help to Buy: mortgage guarantee available 3 months early – News stories – HM Treasury – GOV.UK (dralfoldman.com)
- Increasingly Tory MPs must worry about life after the next election – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- The follies of the UK’s Public Accounts Committee (PAC) – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Beyond Polly Toynbee’s narrow view on the Labour Party – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Why UK Chancellor George Osborne will not be allowed to use the axe on the Public Sector – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Ageing Britain needs more immigration – Case Against – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Understanding the UK NHS’s Terminal Cancer – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)