After the economic damage that the US unloaded on the global economy following the sub-prime crisis in 2008, is it really possible that the US would force the World back into recession by defaulting on US Government debt?
Dr Alf raises an important hypothetical question but the answer is that unless President Obama has gone mad, a grubby deal will be done and a watered down version of Obamacare will be the price of another raised debt ceiling, along with cuts to military spending following drawdown from Afghanistan.
Under Ronald Reagan the debt ceiling was raised 18 times and when I lived in that country. it was an annual pantomime, with the Government threatening shutdown and Armageddon economically only for the politicians to emerge from a darkened smoke filled room to announce a new deal.
There are too many powerful people with a vested interest in printing more money so Armageddon will not happen this time.
- Opinion: US Treasury starts last measures to preserve borrowing authority ex Reuters – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- US default by any other name | Gavyn Davies – FT (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look at the Implosion of UK Healthcare – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- How the Western economies should effectively respond to the Chinese economic powerhouse – John A Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Syria, the “red line” and morality: Some wider reflections – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- How Does the Debt Ceiling Affect Me? (lexingtonlaw.com)
- Critique of Pravda article accusing Obama of being worst US President – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Cancer in over 65s predicted to treble by 2040 – John Gelmini’s viewpoint (dralfoldman.com)
- Why world trade growth has lost its mojo | Gavyn Davies – FT (dralfoldman.com)
- Sino-German strategic relations and investment in Cyprus offshore gas and oil? – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)