He said that on Question Time, in front of a lively studio audience, chaired by the now tattooed David Dimbleby
At the time, no-one contradicted him, including Tony Blair, the Prime Minister and Jack Straw, who subsequently became a long serving Labour Home Secretary.
The Raytheon System had to be bought because comparable technology was not available within the UK to “count people in and out of the country” as Dr John Reid (another former Labour Home Secretary ), assured us it would.
The system was only partially rolled out, and to this day, no-one in the Government really knows how many people are actually living here, nor coming here, although food sales, school admissions and the number of notes and coins in circulation suggests a figure of around 70 million plus 500,000 new people coming here each year of whom 250,000 are illegal immigrants.
When the Poles were about to come here, it was to plug a shortfall of construction workers to build much needed houses and a shortfall of English dentists, caused by the then Labour Government’s imposition of a new dental contract, which the dental profession didn’t like to such an extent that many of them left the NHS and went into private practice.
We were told by Jack Straw, Charles Clark and by a succession of Labour Ministers that just 13,000 Poles would come to the UK.
Those Ministers knew that the figures that they were putting out were woeful underestimates because they had access to the figures on the numbers of Poles applying for National Insurance numbers to be able to work in the UK; they had access to data on the number of Polish passport holders applying to enter the UK; and they had data on Poles who were going to perform agricultural work for Agricultural Gang-masters in East Anglia over and above those Poles who were going to be dentists, construction workers and plumbers.
The rest is history but it will be repeated, once again, when the Romanians and Bulgarians come to the UK, following the New Year, despite all the assurances given by people like the sanctimonious Anna (“I don’t like your tone Mr Farage”) Soubry on Question Time, less than 2 weeks ago.
- Labour: Letting in EU migrants was ‘spectacular mistake’ (yorkshirepost.co.uk)
- Jack Straw: Labour made mistake letting Poles in early (theguardian.com)
- Labour made a ‘spectacular mistake’ on immigration, admits Jack Straw (newsafrica.co.uk)
- A ‘spectacular mistake’: Jack Straw admits Labour got it badly wrong on immigration (express.co.uk)
- Jack Straw confesses: Labour ‘messed up’ on EU immigration (theweek.co.uk)
- Straw Admits ‘Spectacular’ Immigration Mistake (news.sky.com)
- Labour made a ‘spectacular mistake’ on immigration, admits Jack Straw (oyiabrown.com)
- Jack Straw: Labour made ‘spectacular mistake’ letting Poles in early (standard.co.uk)
- Immigration from Eastern Europe: David Blunkett and Jack Straw admit Labour Government got it wrong (mirror.co.uk)
- Jack Straw: Labour made mistake letting Poles in early (oddonion.com)