The answer to Dr Alf’s question is that they will do nothing about the banks as the people who control them (not the directors but those above them), are the ones calling the shots, and are far more powerful than anyone in Government.
They will do nothing about austerity either, except to try and get foreign investment into the country and engage in “fire sales” like the recent botched Royal Mail privatization.
Until there are riots in the streets and people rise up en-masse to protest violently, little or nothing will be done to boost exports, increase inward investment or ameliorate the conditions of the vast mass of people who have effectively been written off as not worthy of help.
- Opinion: PM Netanyahu’s remarks in Moscow 20 Nov 2013 – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Stages of Economic Recovery in the UK – Simon Wren-Lewis – Mainly Macro (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look at the Implosion of UK Healthcare – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion: Infographic-Oecd health at a glance 2013 ex Irish Times-John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion: Cameron and Osborne want growth – at any cost – Benedict Brogran Telegraph – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion – ‘Dutch sandwich’ grows as Google shifts €8.8bn to Bermuda ex FT.com – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion: Labour must step in to rescue a generation of doomed youth – Mary Riddell ex Telegraph – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion: The BBC and Jeremy Paxman should tell Downing Street where to go ex Telegraph – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Alternative views – Wren-Lewis, climate change & UK Conservatives: John Gelmini Vs. Dr Alf (dralfoldman.com)
- Should the OBR independently cost and risk assess UK political manifestos? John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
Pingback: Opinion: Are the UK floods Cameron’s Katrina? Simon-Wren Lewis – Mainly Macro – John Gelmini « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: Opinion: Mortgage debt threatens overstretched UK households-FT.com-John Gelmini « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: Further Opinion: Inequality And The Left – Simon Wren-Lewis – Social Europe Journal- John Gelmini « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: Opinion: Stefano Scarpetta reviews new approaches to closing the world’s growing income gaps ex Project Syndicate- John Gelmini « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: Opinion: UK banks and the productivity puzzle: it may not just be about limited lending via Simon Wren-Lewis -John Gelmini « Dr Alf's Blog
Pingback: Opinion: The Jobs Recovery Is Always Two Years Away ex David Lizoain – Social Europe Journal – John Gelmini « Dr Alf's Blog