1. SMALL BUSINESSES
Small businesses are much more effective in creating jobs than large businesses, so there needs to be a big stimulus for small businesses. especially for creating jobs and investment
2. YOUTH UNEMPLOYED: TRAINING
There are billions of Euros being offered by the European Commission to retrain young people and reduce youth unemployment. George Osborne needs to harness these resources effectively, matching increased national skills, with potential demand. Practical skills and apprenticeships, along the German model, would be a good start point. Another enormous opportunity is language skills; this is required to increase sales penetration in BRICS countries; also learning languages like German would be beneficial for skilled people to tap in to German growth.
3. CONSOLIDATE PUBLIC SECTOR
Despite all the squealing, there are still enormous opportunities for further consolidation in the Public Sector, like for example removing “care” from Local Authority management; rationalizing number of Local Authorities, Police & Fire Services etc. There are still opportunities to rationalize the number of Central Government departments. Front and back-offices services should be streamlined, rationalized, outsourced and off-shored wherever possible, provided that it was in the national interest.
There are still opportunities for leveraging growth, with greater stimulation for capital investment. Companies should be given aggressive tax incentives for further capital investment. There are still excellent opportunities for Public Sector investment, like infrastructure, benefiting from the historically low levels of borrowing costs.
Businesses should be given enormous fiscal incentives to increase exports
6. NATIONAL SERVICE
There is an opportunity to bring back compulsory National Service, along the lines of Israel’s example; two years for women and three years for men, at the age of eighteen. National Service could increase the skill-base, compensate for cuts in the tri-services, and potentially deploy military leadership to address social challenges.
- George Osborne and tax evasion what’s trending? via Storify (dralfoldman.com)
- Budget black hole at heart of George Osborne’s finances – FT.com (dralfoldman.com)
- CBI doubles George Osborne’s economic growth forecast | Business | The Guardian (dralfoldman.com)
- Tory fears over George Osborne tactics – guardian.co.uk (dralfoldman.com)
- George Osborne in China – wide-eyed, innocent and deeply ignorant | Will Hutton- guardian.co.uk | (dralfoldman.com)
- Mark Carney slams brakes on George Osborne’s housing market boom | Phillip Inman (theguardian.com)
- The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and the coalition plays silly burgers | Stewart Lee | The Observer (dralfoldman.com)
- Fears of a third quarter of recession add to Osborne’s woes – Business News – Business – The Independent (dralfoldman.com)