Dr Alf’s blog brings to mind the saying better late than never.
We already know what methods are used in the Far East, and we already know how much parents in those countries value education, hard-work, self-discipline, sense-of-family, and self-sacrifice.
What is needed is the political will and messianic drive to inculcate these attitudes into people in the country until they are so ingrained they become reflex actions.
This will require leading by example, which for David Cameron, would mean no more Angry Birds, no more chillaxing with bottles of wine, fewer and shorter holidays, less complacency, thinking before speaking and a lot more work.
Most UK teachers are not up to the mark and need to be sacked and replaced by competent ones and the disproportionate amount of woman teachers needs to be changed so that there are more male role models for boys.
The UK school-day is far too short and needs to be extended and made more rigorous, school holidays are too long and need to be cut along with annual holiday entitlement until national productivity rises to top decile levels.
Changing mindsets requires what top sportspeople have known for years, the need for performance coaching and psychology to beneficially impact upon motivation.
Experts of this, kind must be embedded in schools and workplaces to work with people and pupils and Government Ministers and top bosses must be made to and be seen to take the same medicine.
- David Cameron urges UK schools to teach Mandarin – FT.com (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion: The BBC and Jeremy Paxman should tell Downing Street where to go ex Telegraph – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion: Labour must step in to rescue a generation of doomed youth – Mary Riddell ex Telegraph – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion: Cameron must reclaim his party from the rationalists ex Janan Ganes-FT -John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Why David Cameron is the Barrier to Increasing UK Exports to BRICS Countries – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Why UK Chancellor George Osborne will not be allowed to use the axe on the Public Sector – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look at UK Life Under David Cameron – John Gelmini 2/3 (dralfoldman.com)
- A Hard Look at the Implosion of UK Healthcare – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Opinion: Machiavelli’s memo to Cameron ex Economist – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)
- Increasingly Tory MPs must worry about life after the next election – John Gelmini (dralfoldman.com)