The National Health Service Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital in the UK, showing the utilitarian architecture of many modern hospitals. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Like Dr Alf, I found the FT editorial article on the UK’s sustainability rather weak.
To Dr Alf’s ten point proposal to increase the UK sustainability footing, I have added ten points of my own.
In our joint judgement an independent strategic study is required:
1. Identifying the UK’s best industries for growth and development
2. Ensuring that there are skilled workers for (1)
3. Identifying the UK’s best opportunities to increase exports
4. Ensuring that there is a new breed of multi-lingual professional sales people capable of exploiting (3)
5. Massive fiscal incentives to stimulate investment in the private sector
6. Supporting public sector infrastructure investment if the financial returns are sufficiently attractive
7. Downsizing the public sector, with wide-scale consolidation and outsourcing
8. Breaking up the UK banks and ensuring that there is greater competition in the financial services sector
9. Identifying opportunities for reforming EU bureaucracy
10. Exploring opportunities to reduce the UK’s population with carefully targeted government policy, like encouraging people to retire overseas.
11. Raising UK levels of worker productivity from 20th in the world to the top 10%
12. Scrapping the NHS and remodel it on German and French lines with Rife machines in all cancer wards. Merge Adult Social Care into the NHS
13. Introducing variable taxes on foods and take a proactive stance to obesity,diabetes,cancer and Alzheimers all of which affect productivity, the ability to earn, the ability to pay taxes and job performance
14. Making our tax regime more competitive and encourage wealthy foreigners to come to the UK and employ people
15. Introducing business boot camps and a path to self employment for the non academically inclined
16. Shortening school holidays,lengthen the school day in state schools and teach children how to sell and present from an early age.
17. Firing trendy heads and transform sacked military officers into head teachers and sacked soldiers into teachers as the Americans have done with their Troops to Teachers programme
18. Putting money into Singapore style policing to make city centres and transport hubs safe and attractive for insurers and developers and for the creation of a “cafe society” rather than one of alcohol and drug fuelled debauchery which puts off tourists and stops people from going out with their families and loved ones
19. Bringing our road system into the 21st century,build Boris Island and simplify the visa system to attract more high spending Chinese tourists as the French and Italians have done
20. Reintroducing National Service with a maximum period of 2 years from leaving school or just 18 months for bright students going to University. This should apply to both boys and girls with exceptions based on medical grounds