This is an important breaking story reported in the NYT. It reports, citing a federal data analysis, that suicide rates increased among almost all groups, with women and middle-aged Americans hit particularly hard.
This analysis focuses on the US but the conclusions are generalizable to other countries.
As I read the article I reflected on some of the following themes:
- Social nets for the disadvantaged
- Increasing dependency on alcohol and drugs
- Offshoring of manual and semi-skilled jobs
- Breakdown of traditional families
- Increasing competition from both abroad and immigrants at home
The American Dream is losing some of its momentum and this will have wide ranging social implications.
These challenges are picked up by ambitious right-wing populists like Trump, le Pen and now Boris Johnson.
The far left offer their own utopian solutions.
I suggest that we are facing a paradigm shift and the media and responsible political leaders have to be more open with the public.