Many of the conditions which prevailed when these successful “baby boomers” reinvented themselves no longer exist and 50% of everything that happens is now unquantifiable, random and a “Black Swan ” event.
Millennials operate in a different world but have to assume that:
- There are no jobs for life
- What was right yesterday may not hold good today
- To survive and prosper you need to be able to create linear income streams
- The need to either marry well or function well alone with ring fenced assets
- The pace of change is much faster
- Language skills in useful languages are essential
- They need to know how to sell, persuade and network
- They should make no useless acquaintances
- Small differences make a difference
- They should practice “ordered flexibility”
- You are only as good as today’s results
From those who have successfully reinvented themselves, the Millenials can learn the following values:
- The application of the golden rule, focus
- Time management and
- How to evaluate propositions, situations and circumstances with perception
- How to manage money and possibly relationships and then take action.
For the rest they need to learn “How to leave the tribe” yet still appear to be of it.