This is a must-read article by Laura Donnelly, Health Editor, at the Telegraph. Check it out!
via Two in three middle-aged men will be obese by 2034 – Telegraph.
OK, the obesity level in the UK is not new. But the headline truly captures the rapidly escalating crisis.
Causes of obesity are well-known, like eating the wrong food, drinking too much alcohol and inadequate physical exercise.
At the national level, the increasing levels of obesity will put a massive additional burden on the UK’s public healthcare, which is already struggling desperately.
Surely, it’s time for radical measures to tackle growing obesity? Here are some suggestions:
- Obesity related medical costs are excluded from public healthcare
- The obese should pay more tax to cover their extra burden to society;
- Obese people should be forced to do national service, where their diet is controlled and they are forced to do physical activity.
- Double Value Added Tax on junk food
- Ban advertising of junk food