This is a must-read article by Laura Donnelly, Health Editor, at the Telegraph. Check it out!
OK, the obesity level in the UK is not new. But the headline truly captures the rapidly escalating crisis.
Causes of obesity are well-known, like eating the wrong food, drinking too much alcohol and inadequate physical exercise.
At the national level, the increasing levels of obesity will put a massive additional burden on the UK’s public healthcare, which is already struggling desperately.
Surely, it’s time for radical measures to tackle growing obesity? Here are some suggestions:
- Obesity related medical costs are excluded from public healthcare
- The obese should pay more tax to cover their extra burden to society;
- Obese people should be forced to do national service, where their diet is controlled and they are forced to do physical activity.
- Double Value Added Tax on junk food
- Ban advertising of junk food