This is an outstanding, must-read article from Time. Check it out!
However, I worry deeply about the shifting sands of UK politics.
Let me try to focus my thoughts with a series of open questions:
- If Labour is so hated, despised and weak in Scotland, how come they still have popularity in England?
- Surely, the only real policy of the SNP is independence for Scotland or preferential terms for Scotland at the expense of the rest of the UK?
- With violent SNP thugs in evidence in Glasgow, surely there is a risk of the nationalism part of the SNP suppressing basic human liberties?
- Can Scottish Nationalist MPs at Westminster be trusted to vote for what’s best for the whole of the UK?
- The left-wing SNP is strong on social spending but weak on economic growth, so they’ll surely expect English tax-papers to foot the bill for their demands?
For me, there is only one safe solution, vote Conservative. I have always been a one-nation conservative. David Cameron needs to reach out and embrace Disraeli’s one-nation-conservatism (ONC). The paternalism of ‘ONC’ offers a more compassionate form of politics than austerity and unrestrained neoliberalism.