This is an excellent, must-read article by KT McFarland, published in Fox News.
via Obama’s ISIS plan = America’s third Iraq war | Fox News.
The article takes are hard-look at the US’s primary interests, namely energy and domestic security. Foreign policy is subordinated.
Personally, I am deeply worried by President Obama’s speech. According to KT McFarland, one of the US’s leading and most experienced security analysts, there are glaring gaps in Obama’s speech. He’s taking the US to the “third Iraq War”, without mentioning the word “war”. Presumably, he’s worried about getting approval from Congress? The speech seems very light on detail. For me, this is not an effective strategy; this more abuse of strategy. Many of the questions that I have raised previously are still open. Let me restate:
- Who is in charge overall?
- Will the US seek UN approval?
- What are the objectives?
- What’s the time-span?
- How will the US avoid collateral damage?
- What about the politics in Syria and the Assad regime?
- How does this so-called strategy dovetail with US security & foreign policy?